Christopher Hitchens On Religion.
The argument with faith is the foundation and origin of all arguments, because it is the beginning – but not the end – of all arguments about philosophy, science, history, and human nature. It is also the beginning – but by no means the end – of all disputes about the good life and the just city. Religious faith is, precisely because we are still-evolving creatures, ineradicable. It will never die out, or at least not until we get over our fear of death, and of the dark, and of the unknown, and of each other. For this reason, I would not prohibit it even if I could. Very generous of me, you may say. But will the religious grant me the same indulgence? I ask because there is a real and serious difference between me and my religious friends, and the real and serious friends are sufficiently honest to admit it. I would be quite content to go to their children’s bar mitzvah’s, to marvel at Gothic cathedrals, to “respect” their belief that the Koran was dictated, though exclusively in Arabic, to an illiterate merchant, or to interest myself in Wicca and Hindu and Jain consolations. And as it happens, I will continue to do this without insisting on the polite reciprocal condition – which is that they in turn leave me alone. But this, religion is ultimately incapable of doing. As I write these words, and as you read them, people of faith are in their different ways planning your and my destruction, and the destruction of all hard-won human attainments that I have touched upon. Religion poisons everything. (Hitchens, God Is Not Great, pp. 12-3, 2009)
Hitchens. (2009). God Is Not Great (2nd ed.). New York, New York. Hatchette Book Group. Pp. 12-3.
- Browncoat Book Review’s: God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens (anansisweb.wordpress.com)
- Quote: Christopher Hitchens (alwaysquestionauthority.wordpress.com)
- Dawkins to Hitchens: If we Win and Destroy Christianity, won’t Islam Replace it? (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Hitchens on Rick Perry (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Cool Christopher Hitchens Poster (patheos.com)
- In Contempt of Faith (lifeofafemalebiblewarrior.wordpress.com)
- Raise a Glass for Christopher Hitchens (patheos.com)
- New Statesman Interview Preview: Richard Dawkins Interviews Christopher Hitchens (alwaysquestionauthority.wordpress.com)
- Death – There is Your Sting! (christsreflections.wordpress.com)
- The ghouls are gathering (freethoughtblogs.com)