It’s been a while between articles posts, let’s get straight into it:
Philosophy Bites – Links to the First 176 Episodes -Edmonds and Warburton.
LCA 2013: distributed democracy, speaking stacks, links -Sky Croeser.
Anti-Muslim hysteria in Australia -Russell Glasser.
We get email: Believers and their security blankets -Martin Wagner.
Good luck in Somalia- Ophelia Benson.
Egyptian atheist facing blasphemy sentence - Jacob Fortin.
Repairs under way -Ophelia Benson.
A fabulous “Manly Meal”-Ophelia Benson.
WL Craig on Morality and Meaning (Series Index) -John Danaher.
My Favourite Posts of 2012 -John Danaher.
Sexual Objectification: An Atheist Perspective -Richard Carrier.
Prototypical Sexist Atheist on Exhibit- Richard Carrier.
Atheism+ : The Name for What’s Happening-Richard Carrier.
Waldron on pornography -Russell Blackford.
Gay Bishop Comes Up With the Worst Argument to Support Same-Sex Marriage- Greta Christina.
My Letter to the Boy Scouts- Greta Christina.
Same-Sex Marriage Opponents Increasingly Desperate and Stupid – Greta Christina.
Catholic Priest blames women for bringing violence on themselves – Jacob Fortin.
Ultra-Orthodox Jews harass sexually abused girl – Jacob Fortin.
Bill O’Reilly calls David Silverman a Fascist – Jacob Fortin.
Top 10 anti-Christian acts of 2012 -J.T Eberhard.
Most insulting fundraiser ever. – J.T Eberhard.
Don’t Say Gay legislator: being gay is like shooting heroin. -J.T Eberhard.
How often god’s moral decrees bear no resemblance to justice. -J.T Eberhard.
Craig’s Argument for God from Intentionality – Philosotroll.
Witch Hunts in Papua New Guinea – Leo Igwe.
Randal Rauser on William Lane Craig’s defense of the Canaanite genocide -Chris Hallquist.
More Powerpoint Slides from a Christian Pastor’s Anti-Gay Sermon – Hermant Mehta.
Who Still Thinks the Church Has Any Moral Credibility? -Hermant Mehta.
Shells and switches -Deacon Duncan.
God and the PlayStation 3 -Deacon Duncan.
The Gypsy Curse -Deacon Duncan.
The Non-Prophets 11.9 – Matt Dillahunty, Russell Glasser, Dennis Loubet.
Anonymous Atheists -Robert M. Price.
Why don’t the faithful debate each other? – Jerry Coyne.
Dennett on atheism denial -Jerry Coyne.
Can Homosexuals be Christians? -C Michael Scott.
Addiction and Responsibility (Part Three) -John Danaher.
Paul Draper’s burden of proof for the theist -Helen De Cruz.
What Is Consciousness? Another Reply to Kastrup -Steven Novella.
Women were incapable of having seminal ideas -Ophelia Benson.
Eroding Feminism – Lauryn Oates.
Pro-life arson -Ophelia Benson.
I have a look at Ehrman’s new book on Jesus -Jerry Coyne.
Question: God and Necessity -Randy Everist.
Assessing evidence for the existence of Jesus -Stephen Law.
New Online Resource: Papers by Alvin Plantinga -Ex-Apologist.
Leiter on Krauss vs. the Philosophers -Ex-Apologist.
Craig on Materialism -Victor Reppert.
PSR for Naturalists- Ex-Apologist.
Naturalism and Necessary Beings (Very, Very Rough Draft) -Ex-Apologist.
Philosophers and physicists duke it out -Ophelia Benson.
Louise Mensch deserves our solidarity -Ellie Mae O’hagan.
On Sexual Harassment -Richard Carrier.
Pastor Worley or ‘Pastor’ Worley? -Justin Vacula.
The structure of social revolutions, part 1 – Russell Glasser.
EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS -Stephen Law.
Gallup: ’32% of Americans are Nonreligious’ -Hermant Mehta.
Morriston’s Paper on Plantinga’s EAAN-Ex-Apologist.
What Ehrman actually says – Ophelia Benson.
Is there Nothing Wrong with Being Religious? -John Shook.
Tripping Balls -Matt McCormick.
How to make something from nothing - Eric MacDonald.
Answering Some of My Critics -John Loftus.
Let’s Keep New Atheism Strident – Eric MacDonald.
How Unnatural Is Religion? -John Shook.
“Good” Philosophy and Apologetics -Philostroll.
The Biblical Historicity Argument: An Analysis -Philosotroll.
Discussing the Reason Rally and Atheism on NPR -Hermant Mehta.
Richard Dawkins’ Speech at the American Atheists Convention -Hermant Mehta.
‘Woodstock For Atheists': A Moment For Nonbelievers -Barbara Bradley Hagerty.
Atheists, others gather at Reason Rally – Lori Aratani.
Young atheists come online -Hermant Mehta.
Militant is the new neo -Ophelia Benson.
Reason Rally/American Atheists wrap up -JT Eberhard.
Richard Dawkins – Agnostic -Steven Novella.
Melting Ice Waiting for Delivery-J.P Holding.
Are indexicals a threat to materialism- Victor Reppert.
The Modal Ontological Argument-Randy Everist.
Do Atheists Know God Exists? -Randy Everist.
Naturalis Historia: Is Young Earth Creationism True? -J.W Wartick.
In which I stick my nose into someone else’s business-Lydia McGrew.
Trust in testimony and miracles -Helen De Cruz.
Book Snap: Bart Ehrman’s “Did Jesus Exist?” -J.P Holding.
“Reason Rally”: Doubleplusgood newspeak for groupthink! -Edward Feser.
Another crime for which faith is culpable -JT Eberhard.
We have ways of making you silent -Ophelia Benson.
School officials ordered to apologize in prayer case -Guillermo Contreras.
Tribal woman shot for refusing to withdraw daughter’s rape case -Milind Ghatwai.
Say prayer works or we will squash you -Ophelia Benson.
Do You Know How Many Slaves Work for You? -Beth Scott.
Contraception, Again… -Mike Labossiere.
Contraception, Once Again -Mike Labossiere.
Is Eating Meat Ethical? -Mark Sisson.
Of Limbaugh & Maher -Mike Labossiere.
Why women need secularism – R. Elisabeth Cornwell.
Ongoing Human Evolution -Austin Cline.
While temperatures rise, denialists reach lower - Phil Plait.
Skin transformed into brain cells – James Gallagher.
A Universe From Nothing – Review – Samantha Nelson.
Embryonic stem cells appear to restore some vision to legally blind patient – Rob Stein and David Brown.
Dolphins and whales: interspecies play? - Jerry Coyne.
Indiana Senate passes bill putting religion in science class – John Timmer.
Why Romney’s Religion Matters – Sean Faircloth.
Do kids have to be taught about the supernatural? - Thomas Rees.
When Pseudoscience Kills – Steve Novella.
Student Faces Town’s Wrath in Protest Against a Prayer – Abby Goodnough.
Your state’s report card - PZ Myers.
A temple to atheism, for crying out loud - Jerry Coyne.
A New Year’s Resolution: Admit You are an Atheist – John Shook.
Naturalism vs. Supernaturalism: Framing the Debate -John Shook.
Burdon of Proof -Bradyn Stanaway.
The Scientific Verdict on God (Part 1): Models- Nathan Dickey.
The Problem of Evil: Are atheists simply ‘asking too much?’ – Justin Vacula.
Local reader argues naturalistic worldview is inadequate – Justin Vacula.
Naturalism, Evolution and True Belief - Stephen Law.
Proving God’s Existence is Impossible -John Shook.
The Debunking Handbook -Daniel Midgeley.
Why I engage-Daniel Midgley.
Why the secular state has no moral mandate. – Russell Blackford.
The Moral Argument: Mistakes to Avoid and Practical Advice – J.W Wartick.
Book Review: “Material Beings” by Peter van Inwagen – J.W Wartick.
Christians, homophobia and trying hard to follow Jesus – David Pocock.
Is William Lane Craig a theistic evolutionist? -Steve Hays.
Is Faith Blind? – Randy Everist.
Hey guys, I’ve added a new sub-heading this week “philosophy”, enjoy!
Guest post: Catholicism waning in Ireland – Sigmund.
Why are the young abandoning Christianity? -Jerry Coyne.
Religion of peace firebombs a paper for satire -Jerry Coyne.
Afghan woman’s choice: 12 years in jail or marry her rapist and risk death -Nick Paton Walsh.
Republicans insane; want to establish theocracy -Jerry Coyne.
Child Rape, Penn State and the Catholic Church: Is Religion Especially Bad? – Greta Christina.
Afghan women have continued to struggle -Ophelia Benson.
Atheists are the most generous—even without heavenly reward! -Hank Pellisier.
‘Tis a good day to #creozerg -PZ Myers.
The Kensington Forgery -PZ Myers.
A very silly calculation -PZ Myers.
William Lane Craig and the problem of pain -PZ Myers.
What have the students been up to this week? -PZ Myers.
Watts wrote a check he couldn’t cash -PZ Myers.
Humans learn to walk like rats -FREYA BOARDMAN-PRETTY
“New” Genes May Have Played a Role in Human Brain Evolution -Charles Q Choi.
Did climate change doom roaming Neanderthals? -Emily Sohn.
Neutrino experiment repeat at Cern finds same result -Jason Palmer.
LHC Combination Of Higgs Limits: MH<141 GeV -Tommaso Dorigo.
A whole book on the evolution of eyes -Jerry Coyne.
More religious incursion into science -Jerry Coyne.
Skeleton of ancient human relative may yield skin -Catherine Brahic and Rohan Hooper.
Twenty Years After “Darwin on Trial”, ID is Dead -Jason Rosenhouse.
Benefits tied to immunisation-Daniel Midgley.
“Great Dying” Lasted 200,000 Years -Brian Handwerk.
Top Ten Myths About the Brain -Lauren Helmuth.
NASA Researchers: DNA Building Blocks Can Be Made in Space -Bill Stiegerwald.
Life began with a planetary mega-organism-Michael Marshall.
Worms Can Evolve to Survive Intersex Populations -Dannielle Whitaker.
Should Zygotes be Considered People? -Mike Labossiere.
Keith Ward & The Jerry Coyne Challenge -Jim P Houston.
Can philosophy or religion alone establish facts? -Jerry Coyne.
Is science so limited? -Russell Blackford.
Does religion answer factual questions? -Russell Blackford.
Marriage, A Few Modest Proposals -Mike Labossiere.
On Science and What Is the Case -Eric MacDonald.
How Theologians Play With Words -Eric MacDonald.
Bibliography on Arguments for Atheism-Jeffrey Jay Lowder.
Hitler was a True Christian™ -PZ Myers.
How Darwinian and atheistic were the Nazis? -Jerry Coyne.
Argument Against the Resurrection of Jesus-Bradley Bowden.
Apologist Josh McDowell: Internet the Greatest Threat to Christians-Jeffery Jay Lowder.
Links and News — 21-Nov-11-Jeffery Jay lowder.
Links and News — 19-Nov-11-Jeffery Jay Lowder.
God, Multi-verses, and Modal Realism-Graham Oppy.
Moreland on Consciousness-Graham Oppy.
Hume’s Beautiful Argument-Keith Parsons.
Geisler and Scholarship-Keith Parsons.
Skeptics Are Not Gloating Over the Treatment of Michael Licona-Jeffery Jay Lowder.
Why I am an atheist -Russell Glasser.
The one (of many) where I’m threatened with Hell… -Matt Dillahunty.
Question about Possible Worlds-Randy Everist.
What part of “nothing” don’t you understand?- Edward Feser.
A Christian Gives Thanks That America Is Not A Christian Nation-Parker J. Palmer.
What if God commanded murder?-Randy Everist.
- PZ Myers Talks About Junk DNA (sandwalk.blogspot.com)
- Quote: PZ Myers (alwaysquestionauthority.wordpress.com)
- IDiots and Incivility (sandwalk.blogspot.com)
- Articles For Women. (killsessionmusings.wordpress.com)
- PZ Myers: The Smear Gets More Personal (greylining.com)
- The failure of accommodationism (barefootbum.blogspot.com)
- Articles. (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- PZ Myers is angry (somersplace.wordpress.com)
- Eric Hovind Has Been Crying to PZ Myers (anatheistviewpoint.blogspot.com)
- Girls Beaten and Raped? Or The Catholic Church? Who are the victims? -Sean Faircloth.
- Anglican newspaper defends ‘Gaystapo’ article -Riazat Butt.
- Exciting and engaging: Richard Dawkins’ The Magic of Reality: How We Know What’s Really True -Christine Schofelt.
- Dover ID movie, “Judgment Day,” now in one video -Jerry Coyne.
- Fundamentalist Book a Factor in Child Deaths. How Many Child Beatings Don’t Make the News? Take action. -Sean Faircloth.
- Gay, Muslim groups relieved by changes to bullying bill -Omar Sacirbey (OP Ophelia Benson).
- Fighting Witchcraft Accusations in Africa -Leo Igwe (OP Ophelia Benson).
- Penn State’s Scandal Cannot Be Prayed Away -Hermant Metha.
- Catholic Charities Drops Lawsuit Against State of Illinois, Ending Their Discriminatory Adoption Practices -Hermant Mehta.
- Survey Says Catholics Are Becoming Less Catholic -Hermant Mehta.
- What can Law’s Evil God Challenge Do?-John Danaher.
- Putting William Lane Craig in his place -Eric MacDonald.
- Julian Baggini Again -Eric MacDonald.
- Curiouser and Curiouser: Now Dawkins is an Anti-Intellectual Coward! -Eric MacDonald.
- Atheism: A Hate Movement -JT Eberhard.
- Existential Crisis And Masturbation -JT Eberhard.
- Wedding Transcript -Matt Dillahunty.
- Raising Atheists, part 2 -Russell Glasser.
- Proof of God by arbitrary mathematical pattern? -Rusell Glasser.
- Should an atheist stand for governmental prayer? -Justin Vacula.
- New Research Says Anti-Atheist Prejudice Stems from Distrust -Hermant Mehta.
- How Should Rationalists Approach Death? -Jesse Galef.
- The Mystery of Consciousness II -Sam Harris.
- Anti-porn with Save the Source -Daniel Midgley
- The Power of Religion -JT Eberhard.
- Laura Hudson on sex in superhero comics -Russell Blackford.
- The other side of the porn debate -Russell Blackford.
- Do Atheists Own the Internet? -J.P Holding.
- Norman the Neanderthal-J.P Holding.
- Christian Parenting – Raising Your Kids to Be Lifelong Believers -Mikel Del Rosario.
- Crickets still chirping… (Updated)-Edward Feser.
- The Melbourne Cup: Godless race that tramples creation -Benjamin Myers.
- Does scientific inquiry preclude belief in God? -Neil Ormerod
- Why Evangelical Christians have left the Right -Marcia Pally.
- How Christian humility upended the world – John Dickson.
- Can we evaluate worldviews? How to navigate the sea of ideas. -J.W Wartick.
- Dawkins is Disgusted -James.
- Magic versus metaphysics-Edward Feser.
- Catholic humanism is superior to today’s exhausted secularism – Austin Ivereigh.
- On Engaging the Real Arguments -Victor Reppert.
- A Review of the Magic of Reality -Nick Peters.
- Psychopaths: Born evil or with a diseased brain? -Matthew Taylor.
- LHC reveals hints of ‘new physics’ in particle decays -Jason Palmer.
- Pristine Big Bang gas found -Irence Klotz.
- Squid and octopus switch on camouflage -Victoria Gill.
- Two steps to primate social living -Nick Bascom.
- Flirty dinosaur could shake its tail feathers -Stephanie Pappas.
- Articles (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- Catholic Church behind thousands of Pornographic/Satanic/Black Magic Books – 2nd Largest German Publisher owned in full by Catholic Church! (ascendingearthbeings.wordpress.com)
- This Week In God 8.10.11 (skepacabra.wordpress.com)
- US Catholic church formalizes Anglican conversions (sfgate.com)
- The Ten Point Vision for a Secular America (patheos.com)
- Study – 3% of Catholics Left Church Because of Scandals (marysaggies.blogspot.com)
- For sex slaves, Catholic Bishops’ ‘help’ is no help at all (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Sean Faircloth discusses his new book Attack of the Theocrats (alwaysquestionauthority.wordpress.com)
- “Porn row” hits German Catholic bookseller, CEO explains mix-up and Local Agency Breaks Away from the Catholic Church (mumbailaity.wordpress.com)
- Guest post: Catholicism waning in Ireland (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Intelligence Squared debate: On the crucial points atheists have got it right – Russell Blackford.
- We get email: Brains, evidence, and burden of proof again -Russell Glasser.
- Pro-choice and pro life- Herb Silverman.
- Reality is enough for me, thanks. -Jacob Fortin.
- What do believers believe? -Eric MacDonald.
- All you get is a maybe -Jason Brown.
- Time to Stop Pretending that the Ten Commandments Constitute an Adequate Basis for Moral Life -Eric MacDonald.
- Can Atheism take over the Functions of Religion? Should it Try? -Eric MacDonald.
- More on God, Craig, and (in this case) debating morality and more here.-Russell Blackford.
- Some varieties of atheism - Edward Feser.
- Did God Allow the Attacks on 9/11 for a “Greater Good”? -Erik Manning.
- Fang-tastic -Steve Hays.
- Penultimate thoughts on the Licona controversy- Steve Hays.
- Inerrancy and hermeneutics-Steve Hays.
- “The Multiverse Created Itself” and “Who made God after all?” -The Kalam Cosmological Argument -JW Wartick.
- Obligations Owed to Persons -Randy Everist.
- Leibniz’s Cosmological Argument-Randy Everist.
- God, People, and Moral Perfection-Randy Everist.
- The Worst Objection to the KCA-Randy Everist.
- A circularity problem for some divine command theories -Alexander Pruss.
- Is the Australian Christian Lobby dominionist? -Chrys Stevenson.
- Rescuing sex from porn -Clive Hamilton.
- Atheists are wrong: The Intelligence Squared debate- Simon Longstaff.
- It gets better, but he couldn’t hold on until it did -Ophelia Benson.
- The God-given freedoms of its people -Ophelia Benson.
- Because she’s got a passport, he can get a visa -Ophelia Benson.
- A Radical New Ploy to Destroy Roe v. Wade—Which Just Might Work -Simon van Zuylen-Wood.
- The rise of dominionism -Alice Miles.
- New ex-Muslims tell their stories -Ophelia Benson.
- Canadians losing faith in religion -Eric MacDonald.
- The strangely schizoid status of the skeptical community (freethoughtblogs.com)
- What is an Atheist? (anythingbuttheist.blogspot.com)
- The “New Atheists” and Dr. Edward Feser’s “The Last Superstition” (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- From ‘Ought’ to ‘Is’ (thephilosophyofscience.wordpress.com)
- Atheist 10Q Challenge Questions (cardboardconfines.wordpress.com)
- The “New Atheists” – A Review of The Last Superstition by Edward Feser (charlescherry.wordpress.com)
And more here.
- What do accommodationists do about creationist politicians? [Thoughts from Kansas] (scienceblogs.com)
- Pakistan extradites Bali bombing suspect Umar Patek to Indonesia (csmonitor.com)
- Martin Frost Describes Perry to a Texas T (themoderatevoice.com)
- Perry attacks Romney for “integrity problem” – CBS News (news.google.com)
- Rick Perry’s Words Come Back To Bite Him (huffingtonpost.com)
Sorry guys, a little lazy this week, little to no annotation :(
An interesting article, the author actually makes a point I made in my last articles blog about a person holding a position (or worldview in the case of this blog) being the first to define that for themselves, I totally agree with that. The problem is, they immediately go and contradict that, when discussing atheism here. They attempt to tell us, what atheism means and why, uh, sorry, what? After the speech the author gives in the blog directly before, we then get this? I do actually happen to agree with much of his post though (except for the ridiculous crap at the bottom of the post), the problem is we would both make the same point from opposite sides. They would say “atheism says nothing so atheists believe and stand for nothing“, whereas an atheist would say “atheism says nothing, but it’s not supposed to, secular humanism, naturalism these are (atheistic) worldviews, which say a lot!“
The war continues.
Only if you’re committed to inerrancy.
- Autism and atheism (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Loftier musings on (my) atheism/atheists.. (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- Check out the Secular Video Network (atheistrev.com)
- What is an Atheist? (anythingbuttheist.blogspot.com)
- The sickening apologetics of Ravi Zacharias (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- Atheist 10Q Challenge Questions (cardboardconfines.wordpress.com)
- Judaism Has its Own Angry Atheists… (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Why the New Atheism is a boys’ club | Victoria Bekiempis (guardian.co.uk)
- 100 Year Old Letters From Ordinary Atheists Explaining Their Atheism (freethoughtblogs.com)
This is pretty much why I don’t debate theists anymore, if you cannot even agree on basic terms, how can you possibly come to any conclusions together? You’ll just be wasting each others time, talking past each other. I instead like to talk in a presuppositional (assume it’s true) sense with theists, ask them about their theology so I might better come to understand it, I find conversations go better that way, especially on the internet.
ECREE is often railed against by the theist community (is there even such a thing?) Reppert has done so too (here, here, here, here,). I fear there will be a never-ending debate on this issue, even once the term is elaborated, it comes to simply: (atheist) “you accept evidence I don’t” and (theist) “you don’t accept evidence I do“, how do you cross that impasse?
I guess we have to assume for the sake or argument that this person has the lock on what is moral or not? Since it seems we’re getting to call whomever we choose immoral according to whatever we like: “anyone who doesn’t sleep on their stomach is immoral“, but wait, that’s relativistic isn’t it? Shame. The problem with this kind of slander is (a) what’s the point? (and it makes him look exactly like the “Gnu atheists” he seems to despise) (b) even if his morals come from God, there are theists who disagree (see the survey presented here, the full survey here) with his positions on the “moral” issues he presents (which isn’t to say they’re not necessarily moral, only to say the issue isn’t as clear-cut as he supposes), so I don’t know how he can claim an absolute (if you’re on the other side of X issue you are immoral), when there clearly isn’t one. This is fundamentalist reasoning.
- So, Let Me See If I’ve Got This Right. Atheist Regimes Are Not Responsible For Genocide-Scale Mass Murder In The 20th Century, But Michele Bachmann Supporters Are Responsible For Teen Suicides.
(more “Gnu Atheist” language here) See more on this article here and here. I’m personally torn on the issue of “religion is evil, it makes us do bad things“, I land more in the “bad ideas, bad reasoning, and poor standards of evidence, can lead us to make bad decisions” camp. Think about Naturopathy, Acupuncture, Homeopathy, leaving aside the issue of religion for a moment, these procedures, where not backed by appropriate levels of evidence (usually defined as double-blind controlled clinical trials) can lead us to adopt inferior medical practices instead of using evidence-based medicine, which can lead to obvious harm. Apply it to religion, we get similar consequences, when people believe things for bad reasons (jury’s still out for me on whether all theists believe for bad reasons- for example, could you say Alvin Plantinga believes for bad reasons? Depends what you mean by “bad“, he’s certainly not an idiot and it’s not like he can’t justify his beliefs, however misguided I, or others might think he is). But this approach of “whenever someone says something bad about some religious person doing a bad thing” you need to pull out instances of “atheist regimes“; there are 2 problems with this (1) couldn’t you simply condemn the bad behaviour by whatever religious person and say “this person does not represent us, and I oppose their actions“? (2) atheist regime means nothing, we can’t establish causation simply because a Christian does something wrong, we need to see if what they did wrong is endorsed and promoted by their worldview, if it isn’t it’s not Christianity’s fault. Same thing with atheism, what does atheism implicitly say that would lead atheist regimes to do anything? Absolutely nothing! This is tired and common apologetic, it’s aim is to be divisive, nothing more.
Are we meant to become theists based on the evidence? Is that how most theists got their god-belief? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say, it seems it’s largely emotional, then supported by the evidence that supports their presuppositions (I’m not condemning presuppositions, we all have them). If I don’t have your revelation, or an emotional appeal, and the evidence doesn’t convince me, how can I possibly be condemned to hell? Just suck it up an pretend? Well that’s living a lie now isn’t it. Seems I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t, in the immortal words of Bill Hicks: “thanks for giving LORD, for all those options“.
Some pretty cool examples from famous atheists cutting straight to the heart of why they lack a belief in a god or gods (depending on the definitions of such).
MacDonald’s series (subsequent posts here, here, here) critiquing Alistair McGrath, I only have his book “The Twilight of Atheism” (still have not read it) which as MacDonald notes, is perfectly titled and timed as it was released just before atheism really became popular.
(and another link here) This kind of attitude is what I was talking about when I was discussing bad ideas being dangerous, this person offers one study, as a supposed refutation to the scientific consensus and we’re supposed to give up on all the evidence for climate change (see a critique of Spencer’s article here, here and here and a general critique of his work can be found here)? This is what happens when you have a presupposition (e.g.- God said he’d never flood the earth again) coupled with horrible standards of evidence. It is unlikely that this idea would catch on by those in power (as they are informed by consensus, not by single studies by crackpots) but it demonstrates a problem, this person and people who agree with him, lobbying for this position, which is not backed by sufficient evidence, simply to push an agenda (presuppositions) what reason is there to promote climate denialism? It’s certainly not the evidence. This is creationism applied to climate science.
(see more here and here and here) I’ve read Chris Hedges “I don’t believe in atheists” a long time ago, and it seemed much along the lines of this review, charging both sides of the theism/atheism debate with some utopian fantasy that will never come true. I don’t understand that kind of mentality personally, but MacDonald does a better job than me, articulating why it’s a lame perspective.
How can you not love Robert Price? I’m currently reading (Reverend) Lee Strobel’s book “A Case for Christ“, and simultaneously reading Price’s “The Case Against the Case for Christ“, which makes any critique I might have pretty much redundant. I’ve been getting back into reading Christian literature again lately, I just read C.S Lewis’ “Mere Christianity” (here, and here) and Norman Geisler’s “Christian Apologetics” which was really good, aside from disagreeing with much of it, (his first cause argument, arguments for the resurrection etc), his philosophy was really interesting, and taught me some things. Geisler doesn’t accept personal experience as a means to convince others, which I too agree with (revelation is necessarily first person, describing your revelation to me is like trying to describe colour to a blind man), he doesn’t accept a priori or a posteriori proofs for God’s existence (citing that they all fail and why), which I obviously agree with (his first causes argument has a priori and a posteriori elements to it), and his chapters on evidentialism were really interesting too (even if I did disagree in the end), a recommended read to Christians (and atheists too).
Some climate change info, more here.
This issue seems to largely divide the theist/atheist camps, with the religious attempting to define faith as some kind of trust, based on evidence (what that means I do not know) where as atheists attempt to use the word to mean something along the lines of belief without evidence. I leave you to decide where you fall on that spectrum.
Biological basis for morality?
As a semi vegetarian, it’s not hard to imagine where I stand on this.
Some journal articles for you (and below).
Even Swinburne and Plantinga can’t agree.
The more I learn about debating tactics, and I admit I’m severely uneducated, the more you learn to take a more meta analytical approach to the discussion, realizing that not every comment deserves a response, that sometimes critiquing the fallacy is as good as critiquing the argument. Here we see that. Some people make such silly assertions you really do need to just, as the author says “point and laugh“…
This study should be no surprise to anyone right?
Appropriately named. This is a perfect example of why religion needs a discourse, why people who don’t believe in God need to voice that opinion, you may not care about atheism, but Christians do, and they’re prepared to stand up for their beliefs, the least you could do, is stand up for your rights.
I haven’t put my hat in this ring so I thought I’d be clear, I don’t really think Brevick’s Christianity (if he indeed was one) had much if anything to do with what he did, but that really is a huge issue, the important thing in this blog is the demonstration of bias, it shows us that although many Christians, like many Muslims believe they are in a “religion of peace” there are extremists among you, which is exactly what Harris discusses (that moderates pave the way for extremists). It’s up to you, who call yourself Christians to come out, oppose this, condemn it, and make a better Christianity (it’s obviously up to the rest of us too, but I doubt a Christian is going to be convinced by me). For me this has more to do with bad ideas, leading to bad consequences than any specific indictment of religion (though I might agree with that analysis).
Jesus would be proud (see here for the specifics and more here). This is in line with the above, are we to say that all these people who said this, weren’t Christians? Maybe, maybe not, seems once you go down that road, the only Christian left in the world, is you.
Again, not a Christian? Who is then? Only the ones who do good things? This and the above examples aren’t Christians doing things that aren’t to do with Christianity, they are doing things in and around their worldview (is Brevick the exception?), correlation causation, it’s a bitch to establish.
- The Oslo Massacre and the Irrationally Subjective Application of “Symbolic” Evil Acts in Order to Draw Unwarranted and Unjust Conclusions
Another perspective. I agree with him (and Nick here) that Brevick’s actions are no real reason to reject Christianity, but I’d also ask, who is rejecting Christianity due to some idiots within it? If there are any atheists using that as a justification for their atheism, they are misguided. At best it works as a critique on the harms of religion, and why an evidence based worldview might be better, but to simply say “Christians kill ergo I don’t believe in God“? There seem to be some steps missing in that logic.
(More here) As Ophelia Benson said: “If people don’t like Perry’s use of his governorship to promote religion they can just ignore it.” Seems divisiveness just got governmental support.
And more here.
Church led “no true Scotsman” fallacy…Well, not really.
Is Africa destined to become a religious wasteland?
I’ve seen the authors over at Triablogue make a similar claim.
- Every Atheist vs Theist Debate in a Nutshell (patheos.com)
- Loftier musings on (my) atheism/atheists.. (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- A benchmark for the ‘new’ atheism (wonderingpilgrim.wordpress.com)
- There is a god, and His name is Allah: My personal gift to Atheists & Anti-Theists: (garethbryant.wordpress.com)
- Did Einstein Believe in God? (wordarmy.wordpress.com)
- Conflating atheists with the unchurched (mojoey.blogspot.com)
- The sickening apologetics of Ravi Zacharias (zaknafein81.wordpress.com)
- Atheist or Agnostic? I’m Both (atheistrev.com)
- II. Atheism: A Very Short Introduction, with Occasionally Relevant Commentary in Two Parts (adamoriens.wordpress.com)